Elect Roland Taylor for Herndon Town Council, it is time for CHANGE
As a member of the Herndon Town Council, Roland Taylor will provide leadership and common-sense solutions. This campaign comes down to the basic issue of the quality of life of citizens versus population growth for more tax revenue. Voters must decide why they selected to live in Herndon and if that quality of lifestyle will continue with a higher density rezoning model the current Town Council are supporting.
Herndon is one of the highest taxed Towns in Virginia. Our services fees and rates have been raised and large bonds secured. The most harmful tax voted for was an increase to the Town’s Meals Tax. This Meals Tax hurts our local businesses and is a regressive tax on the lower income population. This tax should have been paused to help our local restaurants with their recovery and save jobs during the pandemic. The discussion of affordable housing and rent for low income and seniors, must include lowering our property taxes.
2023 Budget INCREASES:
The real estate tax remains unchanged at $0.265 per $100 of assessed value, BUT property owners will see hikes in tax bills in the next fiscal year due to big jumps in real estate values.
Herndon Town Council voted huge pay raise for their office in the new 2023 budget, with no regard to the impacts of inflation to families. They continue to drive up taxes and fees.
- Councilmember pay increased from $4,000 to $15,000 = 275% INCREASE
- Mayor’s pay increased from $6,000 to $16,000 = 166% INCREASE
The increases will go into effect in the 2023-2024 term.
For the 2023 budget the Town Council also increased water and sewer rates:
- $6.28 to $7.16 per 1,000 gallons for sewer
- (7.016 – 6.28) · 100% 6.28 = 1840 157 % ≈ 11.7% INCREASE
- $3.21 to $3.31 per 1,000 gallons for water
- Additionally increased fees for the Herndon Centennial Golf Course and Chestnut Grove Cemetery.
Source: FFXNow online news: Fatimah Waseem, March 10, 2022 and Town of Herndon
Herndon has begun its re-growth from the economic impacts of COVID and increased inflation, the Town budget will require realignment and all projects prioritized by importance. Roland Taylor is an experience international program manager and has years of experience managing large federal contracts, budgets, and staff. Quality services can be maintained at lower cost with effective management. As a Council member, Roland Taylor will provide his proven international effective leadership to Herndon for our recovery from the negative impacts of COVID-19 and inflation to bring back Herndon Strong!
It is time for a CHANGE to Results, not divisive Rhetoric.
- Roland Taylor will be focused daily working to lowering your taxes, utilities, and fees.
- No compromises from campaign contributions from developers or real estate companies or their employees.
- No funding from partisan political officials or parties. Our town charter did NOT intend, and ALL candidates should honor.
Local elections are not a place for partisan politics and should have term limits. At the local level we should ALL work together as neighbors.
For More Open and Transparent Government
- Will promote our amazing inclusive community spirit.
Will lead a transparent OPEN local government with citizen inputs and public hearings.
Roland Taylor will continue his career’s work for inclusive government and impartial rule of law to protect endangered populations.
Will Target Traffic, Parking, and Green Spaces.
- Roland Taylor will scrutinize development proposals for density impacts to our schools and overcrowding those result in more traffic, less parking space.
Lower density leads to better schools. Current schools are pushing capacity.
Require more parking and green space in all development proposals. This will reduce street parking.
Will press developers to invest in required infrastructure for their properties.
Control budget and spending to keep taxes low and home values higher.
Protect single-family home values, neighborhoods, and schools from high-density developers.
Establish limits on town borrowing that are long-term tax burdens, resulting in huge impacts to lower income families and senior citizens. Affordable housing begins with lower taxes.
Support Community Programs that are Inclusive of ALL Citizens
- Roland Taylor will continue his years of support of our environment, amazing parks, and recreation areas for our youth and families to enjoy now and in the future.
Will support and communicate with our civic organizations, youth programs, and homeowner’s associations that provide amazing services to the town by enhancing our quality of life in Herndon.
Will encourage youth arts and music programs that reach and impact a broad spectrum of our community’s youth.